Program Goal and Outcomes
Program Goal: To prepare students to gain entry-level employment repairing, adjusting, and installing appliances, including refrigerators, washers, dryers, and ranges.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Name the various hand and power tools you'll use when working with appliances, and describe the safe work practices that must be observed
- Explain how to perform tests on appliances using electronic measuring and diagnostic devices, such as a multimeter, amp-clamp, or oscilloscope
- Identify the basic concepts, terminology, and applications relating to electricity, including the components and operation of electronic circuits
- Describe how electricity can be controlled to provide switching and motion in various appliance components, including solenoids, relays, and motors
- Identify the components and operation of commonly used small electrical appliances, and define the proper troubleshooting and repair procedures
- List the steps for troubleshooting and repairing common power tools, including drills, saws, sanders, and air compressors
- Identify the components and operation of major electrical appliances, including ranges, washers, dryers, dishwashers, compactors, and disposals, and describe the proper troubleshooting and repair procedures. Explain how the various voltage combinations required are derived
- Describe the operation of microwaves, and list typical safety. troubleshooting and repair procedures
- Identify the components and operation of HVACR free-standing units and systems, including refrigerators and air conditioners, and comprehend procedures for troubleshooting, testing, and maintaining HVACR systems
- Recognize the work habits and characteristics demonstrated by successful technicians, including how to build relationships with customers and peers
- Recognize the proper procedures for providing cost estimates and billing for repair work. Understand how to provide for profit with repair estimates
- List several employment possibilities in the appliance servicing field, and describe how to start your own business
Instruction Set 1
Starting Your Program
Succeed by learning how to use your Penn Foster program. Understand how to use your Student Portal. Access the Penn Foster Community and use it to find answers. Connect with Penn Foster on various social media sites.
Electric Appliance Tools and Testers
Your career in appliance repair, safety in your work, tools needed.
Instruction Set 2
Testing Electric Appliances
About electricity, test appliance circuits, tests in combination circuits.
Solenoids, Relays, and Motors
Solenoids, split-phase motors, capacitor-start motors, permanent magnetic DC motors.
Supplement: How Appliances are Changing
Instruction Set 3
Electric Heating Appliances and Fans
Working with line cords and plugs, electric room heaters, combination of heating elements.
Coffee-making appliances, table ovens, miscellaneous cooking appliances.
Motor-Driven Small Appliances
Gear-driven small appliances, appliances with reciprocating motion,
wet/dry vacuums, wet carpet cleaners.
Electric Power Tools
Electric drills and power drivers, electric jigsaws, electric sanders, power drills, power drivers, polishers and grinders.
Supplement: Lawn and Garden Equipment
Instruction Set 4
Electric Ranges and Water Heaters
Electric ranges, testing and repairing ranges, electric water heaters.
Electric Washing Machines
Electric washing machine parts and circuits, washing machine troubleshooting.
Electric Clothes Dryers, Dishwashers, Compactors, and Disposals
Electric clothes dryers, repairing trash compactors and garbage disposals.
• Digital Multimeter
• Multimeter Operation Manual
(Shipped separately as active students complete the appropriate exam)
Instruction Set 5
Microwave Ovens - Part 1
Microwave fundamentals, principles of operations and construction.
Microwave Ovens - Part 2
Microwave repair, testing, and troubleshooting.
Supplement: Cordless Appliances
Instruction Set 6
Electric refrigerators, main parts, testing and servicing mechanical parts of refrigeration systems, domestic freezers.
Air Conditioners, Dehumidifiers, and Air Cleaners
Operating principles and servicing air conditioners, dehumidifying and humidifying systems, heat pumps.
Your Career in Appliance Repair
Your shop, business equipment, starting your own business.
• Starting a Mobile Business