Earn your Penn Foster Certificate in Automotive HVAC Essentials. Your program includes heating and cooling systems, servicing, EPA regulations, testing, troubleshooting, and more.
Students interested in enrolling in this program should have an educational or work-related background in automotive repair basics. Students who do not have the necessary prerequisites should consider Penn Foster's Auto Repair Technician Career Diploma Program.
As you know this is an online academic program. This means you will need high-speed internet access to begin your program. In addition, you will need access to a Microsoft® Windows® based computer running Windows 7® or later or an Apple® Mac® computer running OS X® or later, and an email account to participate in and complete your program.
Program Goal and Outcomes
Program Goal: To enhance skills for employment in the automotive field in the areas of heating and cooling systems, servicing, EPA regulations, testing, and troubleshooting.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the components of a vehicle's heating/cooling system
- Explain how air conditioning systems operate and describe different types of systems
- Recognize various switches and sensors used in computerized climate-controlled systems
- Explain how to legally and safely handle different types of refrigerants
- Describe the importance of EPA certification in regard to working on air conditioning systems
- Identify the cause of heating/cooling system problems, such as engine overheating, loss of coolant, and abnormal noise
- Describe the proper procedures and tools used for testing and servicing heating/cooling systems, including troubleshooting computer-controlled systems
AT025 - Automotive HVAC
Automotive heating and cooling systems, air conditioning systems basics, air conditioning components and controls, types of refrigerants and EPA regulations, servicing heating and cooling systems, air conditioning systems testing and troubleshooting, troubleshooting computer-controlled systems. Includes practical exercise.
Lesson – Heating and Air Conditioning, Part 1 and 2
ASE Heating and Air Conditioning Exam Prep Book
EPA Prep Book and Mobile EPA Certification Test