Program Goal and Outcomes
Program Goal: The Natural Health Care for Pets certificate program teaches students how to care for their pets using natural remedies and therapies.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Understand how to choose a healthy and suitable pet and identify natural health modalities appropriate for animal care
- Understand how herbs can be used to help build and maintain good health for a dog or cat
- Know the touch techniques used on pets using massage to promote good health and well-being for pets
- Identify the appropriate aromatherapy products used to address a specific behavior or circumstance in pets and describe how to use them
- Identify and know how to use the tools of traditional Chinese medicine including foods, herbs, and nutritional supplements
HCC010 — Overview of Holistic Animal Care
This introductory course provides an overview of holistic approaches to caring for companion animals/pets. Topics include a discussion of the basic principles of natural health, choosing a healthy and suitable pet, day-to-day animal care, natural health modalities for animal care, and the emotional and spiritual aspects of companion animals.
Textbook: The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care
HCC020 — Herbs for Companion Animals
This course discusses basic herbal terminology, dosage information, and herbal preparations to enhance animal health. It also covers holistic diets for pets, the use of herbs/herbal combinations to promote the wellness of a companion animal, and holistic approaches for common pet ailments.
Dr. Kidd’s Guide to Herbal Dog Care
Dr. Kidd’s Guide to Herbal Cat Care
HCC015 — Bodywork for Companion Animals
This course introduces the use of massage and other forms of bodywork to improve the health of dogs and cats. Other topics include animal psychology, massage techniques and benefits to animals, and using touch to improve communication.
The Healing Touch for Cats
The Healing Touch for Dogs
The Tellington TTouch
HCC025 — Aromatherapy and Flower Essences for Companion Animals
This course discusses the use of aromatherapy to help companion animals achieve better health. Topics include calculating amounts of aromatherapy products, selecting the best methods for administration, the quality and safety of aromatherapy products, and the impact of specific chemical groups on different animals.
Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals
Bach Flower Remedies for Animals
HCC030 — Traditional Chinese Medicine for Companion Animals
This course studies the basic principles of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) in the care of pets. Topics include the uses of the theory of TCM, assessment techniques, and holistic remedies that may help restore balance to the body.
Textbook: Four Paws, Five Directions