Program Goal and Outcomes
Program Goal: The program goal for Penn Foster's Spanish Certificate Program is to teach students the fundamentals of conversational Spanish.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Identify correct uses of gender and pluralization in nouns and adjectives, noun/adjective agreement, and the numbers in Spanish.
- Conjugate a variety of common Spanish verbs using the correct subject
- Differentiate between commonly confused Spanish terms, such as ser/estar, saber/conocer, and ésta/está
- Recognize correct use of the direct object pronoun
- Identify adverbial prepositions
- Translate and summarize poems and short stories in Spanish, answer questions about these stories in written Spanish, and translate sentences from English to Spanish/Spanish to English
- Recognize vocabulary terms from, and answer questions based on, audio recordings
- Give directions and answer questions that are commonly encountered when traveling
- Write a short business letter entirely in Spanish using appropriate grammar, vocabulary, and abbreviations
Instruction Set 1
Developing a study plan; clues which indicate gender; word breaks in Spanish sentences; indicating possession; practicing the cardinal numbers; beginning to acquire an active vocabulary; asking questions in Spanish; developing fluency with vocabulary and grammar introduced thus far.
Learning Aid: CD #1
Supplement: Learner's Guide
Instruction Set 2
Increasing active vocabulary; generating sentences using active and new vocabulary; using ser and estar correctly; recognizing Spanish consonants; using object pronouns correctly; using hay correctly; the Spanish equivalent of any number from 1-9999.
Learning Aid: CD #2
Supplement: "Letters to Ben"
Instruction Set 3
Using era and eran correctly; creating "mini-story" plots using active vocabulary; using the present tense forms of regular verbs; increasing active vocabulary; recalling and reciting questions and answers using pictographs.
• CD #3
• Pictograph Flash Cards
Instruction Set 4
Placing object pronouns correctly in sentences; increasing active vocabulary; recognizing reflexive pronouns; comprehending the meaning of the present, preterit; imperfect, and present perfect tenses; using new vocabulary to create "mini-stories."
• CD #4
• Listening Comprehension CD
• Phrase Book
Instruction Set 5
Listening to and reading stories and dialogues to improve pronunciation and comprehension; using the preterit, imperfect, and present perfect tenses correctly; recognizing verb forms of seven simple verb tenses.
Learning Aid: CD #5
Instruction Set 6
Listening to and reading stories and dialogues to improve comprehension; forming the past participle of regular verbs; memorizing the past participles of at least eleven irregular verbs; increasing active vocabulary; recognizing compound tenses.
• CD #6
Instruction Set 7
Language for business, travel, and other real-life situations.
• CD #7
• CD #8