Program Goal and Outcomes
Program Goal: To prepare students for an entry-level career at the apprentice level in the residential construction and remodeling field.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Discuss licensing requirements, local building codes, and the need for inspections
- Draw and follow blueprints and building plans to meet the needs of clients
- Understand procedures for installing structures and fixtures, such as windows and molding
- Understand procedures for measuring, cutting, and shaping wood, plastic, and other materials
- Understand procedures for constructing building frameworks, including walls, floors, and doorframes
- Describe methods for waterproofing and insulating old foundation walls
- Discuss how to inspect and replace damaged framework or other structures and fixtures
- Understand some of the potential problems unique to older homes
- Identify different grades and sizes of lumber, engineered lumber products, and commonly used fasteners
- Understand safe practices for using ladders, ladder jacks, trestles, horses, and power tools
- Describe the components of the main electrical panel and calculate the placement of outlets in a room
- Understand the principal plumbing considerations in remodeling old houses and the operating principles of various heating systems
- Discuss the main considerations that go into designing a functional kitchen, especially the work triangle
- Identify the most common considerations for remodeling a bathroom, including the importance of proper venting and common types of lighting, fixtures, and floor coverings
Instruction Set 1
Starting Your Program
Introduction to Home Remodeling
Succeed by learning how to use your Penn Foster program. Understand how to use your Student Portal. Access the Penn Foster Community and use it to find answers. Connect with Penn Foster on various social media sites.
Career opportunities in home remodeling;
licensing, contracting, and necessary
Instruction Set 2
Evaluating interior and exterior
areas of a house; important items to
include in a master plan.
Practical Exercise Textbook: Renovating Old Houses
Instruction Set 3
Building Materials and Fasteners
Inspecting materials for quality;
Tools and Scaffolds
Common hand tools; safe use of power
tools; safe use of scaffolds.
Instruction Set 4
Understanding Construction Drawings
Drawings included in a set of plans,
common carpentry plan details.
Site Preparation, Building Layout,
Materials used to reinforce concrete;
solving water infiltration problems;
waterproofing and insulating foundation
Textbook: Blueprint Reading and Sketching for Carpenters
Equipment: Mechanical Drawing Kit; Blueprints; Graph Paper
Instruction Set 5
Floor, Wall, and Stair Framing
Types of frame construction; exterior
wall framing; choosing the right stairway
Constructing gable, gambrel, hip,
intersecting, shed and trussed roofs.
DVD: Framing Floors and Stairs
Instruction Set 6
Cornices and Roofing
Constructing cornices; estimating
roof materials; repairing a roof leak.
Windows, Doors, and Siding
Installing windows; building and
setting door frames; working with siding.
Insulation and Drywall Installation
How insulation works; when and how
to insulate; installing and repairing
Installing interior doors; installing
window and closet trim.
Textbook: Drywall: Professional Techniques for Walls and Ceilings
DVD: Drywall: Hanging and Taping
Instruction Set 7
Fundamentals of electricity; fixtures;
circuit breakers; wiring appliances.
Plumbing and Heating
Plumbing fixtures; cutting and joining
pipe; operating principles of heating
Kitchen Cabinets, Appliances, Fixtures,
Constructing durable countertops;
understanding how kitchen appliances
Bathroom Cabinets, Fixtures, and
Planning functional and aesthetic
bathrooms; selecting flooring and fixtures;
understanding all aspects of home plumbing.
Drawing Plans, Estimates, and Contracts
Drawing schedules; calculating project
expenses; major categories that should
be included in a bid.
- Wiring a House; Plumbing a House
- Installing and Repairing Plumbing
- Product Specification Manual
Instruction Set 8
Project: Remodeling a Basement
Identifying tasks and materials;
applying sealers; subfloor installation.
Project: Remodeling a Bathroom
Installing water pipes; installing
fixtures; installing cabinets and countertops.
Project: Remodeling a Kitchen
Removing old cabinets and countertops;
building soffits; installing kitchen
DVD: Installing Kitchen Cabinets and Countertops
Instruction Set 9
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 1
Design; estimate; contracts and permits.
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 2
Foundation layout; excavation; installation;
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 3
Preparing existing structure; framing,
roofing and siding.
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 4
Opening wall; tying in; leveling
existing floors and ceilings.
DVD: Framing Walls; Framing Roofs
Instruction Set 10
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 5
Plumbing, heating, and wiring
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 6
Installing insulation and drywall;
Building an Addition with a Kitchen, Part 7
Installing cabinets, countertops,
flooring, appliances, and trim.
The Business of Home Remodeling
Financing your business; obtaining
licenses; dealing with subcontractors;
DVD: Tiling Countertops